Thursday 22 March 2012

Birds at Morni

The Morni Hills area is a bird watchers paradise. There were so many birds that I saw for the first time in my life (I am no Ornithologist). Some of the bids I recognized while most of the others I could not. I even sought help for identifying some of the birds in case I was able to capture them in my shots which was not very often.

The birds photos below were taken in the Morni and Tikkar Taal areas. See my earlier posts of Tikkar Taal and Morni Hills & Morni Fort.

Some of the birds I was able to see just by chance for example the Coal Tit bird and the Indian Robin came quite close to where I was sitting in the hope of getting some food.

Coal Tit Bird

Indian Robin Female

The Red Vented Bulbuls were quite content with eating these round fruits of the trees.

Red Vented Bulbul eating a tree fruit

Red Vented Bulbul


I was able to spot two cormorants at the Chota Tikkar Taal. I have watched these birds for the first time and did not know the names initially. I queried at Indiamike to know which bird is this. The Cormorant is a beautiful bird which dives in water for food and can stay underwater for pretty long.

Cormorant at Tikkar Taal

The White Capped Red Waterstart I found was not at all shy and was sitting on a paddle boat on the Tikkar Taal for quite some time.

White Capped Red Waterstart

The beautiful kingfishers I was able to see and click near the Tikkar Taal lake.

White Throated Kingfisher

The Wild Life Wing of the Forest Department of Haryana also has a Pheasant breeding centre at Morni. Some of the Pheasants look like the ordinary cocks but others are very colourful and beautiful.

Kaleej Pheasant

I was also able to locate Barn Owl near dusk at Morni Hills. As the name Morni suggest yes I was able to see few peafowls as well. In the evening near the lake several Egrets,  Indian Pond Herons and Red Wattled Lapwing were also visible.

The area is also home to the Crested Kingfisher, Wallcreeper, Bar-tailed Treecreeper, Oriental Turtle Dove, Quails, Grey Francolin, Black Francolin, Himalayan Bulbul and Red Jungle fowl among several others.
 
In winters several migratory birds visit the area from as far as Siberia.

No comments: